Housing Rights Laws
Fair Housing Laws
As a Fair Housing Organization, Housing Rights, Inc. helps to enforce fair housing laws and fight housing discrimination. We do this for renters, homeowners and homebuyers. In addition, we assist renters in resolving tenant/landlord conflicts by using rights and responsibilities laid out in local and state laws.
We help the Cities we serve to enforce the laws listed below:
- The laws we help to enforce (PDF: 0.03MB)
- Comparison of Fair Housing Laws (PDF: 0.3MB)
- Getting to the Table...Assessment of Impediments (PDF: 0.5MB)
State Renter Rights Laws are outlined in the following documents. (Local laws regarding rent control and just cause eviction protections are found on the websites for the Cities that have those laws. Find links for cities with rent control and just cause eviction protection.
Please call us if you have any questions about local laws or need a referral to the local agency that enforces those laws.
The following written material, available through our website, may assist you in resolving conflicts with your landlords.
- California Tenants (PDF: 0.6MB): A guide to residential tenants’ and landlords’ rights and responsibilities
- Inquilinos de California (PDF: 0.5MB) (the above listed document in Spanish)
- Repair and
Deduct Packet (PDF: 0.3MB)
Self-help packet designed to aid renters to get needed repairs. There is more self-help information available on our campanion website: rentersrights.info.
- When Your Home Makes You Sick (PDF: 0.6MB) Self-advocacy packet designed to assist renters in identifying conditions in their home that are harmful to them and how to address those conditions.